Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Imagine

Have you ever imagined something so vividly in your mind, that you actually started to convince yourself it was true? 

I do -- All the time.

This evening, not unlike most, I spent my shift at work "day dreaming". (Please, don't tell the bosses this; I think it's frowned upon.)  Here is a brief synopsis of what I thought about tonight -- if you've ever done this, please tell me so I don't feel like the only one out there.

-------------------

This evening, as I spent the evening behind the counter at the Cafe, chit chatting with my co-worker Daniel-san, I would catch myself imaging that someone special was going to surprise me and magically walk into my store.  There I was, wiping the counter and minding my own business, when all of a sudden, I'd hear that magical voice speak up and say to me, "Hi.  I'd like a Venti Iced Chai Latte, please".  I would turn around, my heart would start pounding, and I'd run around the other side of the counter, hug them, and be so happy I'd cry.  (I'd like to say that that was an exaggeration, the crying bit, but realistically, it's not -- I'm a big wuss.)

I know this isn't possible, really, because, 1.) Special person is in NYC, 2.) they do not know where I work, and 3.) I am the only one I know that thinks it's okay to surprise someone when you know where they are going to be... everyone else I know thinks it's creepy and shouldn't be done.  

The problem isn't that I was daydreaming... the problem is that I made them so vivid in my mind, that I kept checking over my shoulder to make sure that she wasn't there.  I'd catch myself looking at people who came in, seeing if it was whom I'd hoped for, feeling that surge of hope that any normal person would have when filled with excitement, and then the resounding crash of disappointment when it wasn't what you thought it was going to be.  

Anyone else ever do this?  Please comment and let me know, so that we can commiserate together.


1 comment:

  1. yeah, i do that all the time. ALL THE TIME. i also agree that i'm one of few people who think surprising someone at work/elsewhere is okay. i think that means we're hopeless romantics. or crazy. either works, really.

    ReplyDelete