Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Don't be upset.

Last week I found out that I'm being laid off from my job as of April 8th, 2011. 

I've been with my current employer for almost 7 years, from when I was eighteen and didn't even know how to hold on to a real job.  I admit, I "grew up" in this job. I made so many mistakes in the beginning, I'm not really even sure how I managed to make it here for as long as I did.  That said, I love this place. I love the people that I work with (for the most part).  I love doing my job.  I love the interaction with the public and knowing the community, and having them know me. 

What don't I love?

The conversation I had with my supervisor on the phone yesterday.

*ring*
*ring*
Val:  So-and-so, blah-blah center, Valerie speaking, how can I help you?
Sup: Hi, Val.  It's "Sup".  How ya doin'?
(Let me just say that that "how ya doin'" was laced with so much pity, I wanted to throw up.  How do you think I'm doing?)
Val:  I'm fine, thanks.
Sup:  I just want you to know that I'm sick over this.  I haven't slept well in three days.
Val:  Yeah, it really sucks.
Sup: I know, trust me.... So... what are you going to do?
Val:  Well, I'm not really sure.  I only found out two days ago (and one of those days I spent drunk off of green beer and "dirty girl scout" shots).
(I did not tell her this.)
Sup:  Hmm, well, Home Depot is hiring. (Insert lame joke here.) You could get a part time job there...
Val:  I sort of, already have a...
Sup:  ... I'm thinking of getting a part time job there myself!  I'm getting out of debt and my girls are going off to college soon and I need to start saving money...
Val: .................. (is she really talking to me about this while I am losing my job?)
Sup:  Are you upset? 
Val:  Yeah, a little.  This isn't something I was expecting.
Sup:  Well... (long pause).... you...
Val:  What, I shouldn't be upset?
Sup:  Exactly.  I heard this in one of my conferences... Keep moving forward, and think positively.
Val:  Oh, okay, that was easy.  Thanks, I feel so much better. 

Really?  Great.  I didn't realize that.  Silly me.

Have people really regressed so much as to forget niceties and manners? 

I really think so, because "Sup" is not the only person who, when they knew what I was going through, still managed to bitch to me about their issues and what is going on in their lives.  I know that I shouldn't be so selfish as to think that I'm the only one having a rough time, but damn.  I am always listening to someone bitch about their problems, and for once, I'd just like to have a little empathy and an ear that would hear what I had to say. 

Thankfully, I've got this blog.  I will just vent to it and hope that it makes up for my lack of "ear". 

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment