Wednesday, June 1, 2011

End of the Rainbow

Hey, it's Indie Ink time again! Hooray!  
I had a great challenge given to me by Miranda whose prompt will be at the end.  This was a prompt to get some creative juices flowing without limiting me to a certain path, so thank you very much, madam. 
I, in turn, challenged Disease, whose response can be found Here.


"End of the Rainbow"

Ladies and gentlemen, I have excellent news.  I have finally had a breakthrough!

Sorry, my apologies.  I am Professor Mark Desjardin, and I have just discovered the most wonderful, exciting, pragmatically satisfying, oh, I’m getting ahead of myself.  I do that sometimes.  Let me fill you in on my past, so you’ll know the reason for my ecstatic outburst.  

I’ve spent the last three years studying, learning, researching a phenomenon so intense, dreams are created from it.  I have spent one thousand and ninety-five days slaved over data, scientific models, charts and graphs, waiting for the key to tie all the pieces together.  I have sacrificed holidays, birthdays, vacation, sick time, family bbqs, and celebrations to determine the complex ratios of water to light, and at what exact zenith the sun needs to be in to create the multicolored arc that appears *supposedly* at random. 

I have taken up the work of Rene Descartes from over three thousand years ago, studying optics and the ways that the human eye bends natural light.  I have studied the path and “life” of a rainbow, from beginning to end, and am on my way to finding what exactly one might find at the end.

You may think I’m foolish, and many would agree with you, but I will defend my findings to anyone at anytime.  I plan to publish my work when my journey is complete. 

As I stand now, I am outside of a rainforest in South America.  Through my research, I have determined that the sun’s zenith will allow for the two ends of a rainbow made today, appearing at 5 pm in the afternoon, in the middle of March, during a non-leap year, to be at both Prince Edward’s Island, Nova Scotia, and Bogota, Colombia, respectively.  Naturally, I chose to be in the country of Colombia, where a rainbow is more likely to be vivid, due to the humidity and the proximity to the sun. 

Naturally.

I have just finished walking four and a half miles to the determined destination of the end of the rainbow of the Spring Equinox.  I am a scientist.  I do not believe in luck; however, if I did, I would say that today was a good luck sort of day, seeing as the days are getting longer and the sun is out longer in the sky. 

Charles, my research assistant is positioned approximately 7 miles away, to determine when the rainbow is going to be at its brightest.  It is then that I can make it to the bottom of the rainbow, to see if it actually exists, and what I might find there. 

Alright, it’s go time. Charles has just radioed, and that is my cue.  I start walking, making my way through brush and mud.  I detest the creepy, crawly insects found in the rainforest, but it is a job hazard, unfortunately.  I am French; we are much too classy for “nature”.  We do not associate with insects. 

Finally, I was through the clearing!  I had, after my long and arduous journey through the thick, dense, towering structures built by Mother Nature, managed to find…

…nothing.  

The rainbow was gone.

Journey complete, and unsuccessful.

My prompt was: Write about seeing a rainbow, following it to the end and what you find there.

3 comments:

  1. drag that he can't see that the reward is in the journey. also, you are a smartypants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the angle you took with this! I love giving challenges that allow you to direct where to take it. Great Job, and dang that he missed it. A reason to continue his journey!

    ReplyDelete