Thursday, June 16, 2011

No Good Deed

Peeps!  Indie Ink time is SO exciting! 

I was challenged by Jason, who must really *get* me, because he gave me a challenge right up my alley. I admit, I was not familiar with the story when I received my challenge, but after reading and digesting, I was committed!  His prompt will be at the end. 

I challenged Michael, who always does a spectacular job.  Please check out his response to "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't" *here*.

and now, drum roll, please... maestro?... places! 

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
I’m tired.
I’m hungry.
I’m homeless.

It didn’t used to be this way, I swear.  I used to have a great job.  I paid my dues to the king.  I worked hard, and played harder, but took my responsibilities seriously.  I tried to make the Mrs. happy.  I wanted to have a big family and be the man of the house, the breadwinner.  I wanted to have it all. 

 I don’t really know what happened, but all of a sudden, things were just on a downward spiral, and I couldn’t do anything but watch myself fall.  I tried.  God, did I try, but there was nothing I could do, no hand holds to grab as I fell to “rock bottom”.

 Here I am, now, trapped by cruel, cruel fate.

Rather than my ‘castle’, I’m under a bridge.  Rather than sleeping on a comfortable mattress, I’m in the dirt with the bugs and the creepy crawlies.  I’m not the coolest, the funniest, or the brightest, but I tried damn hard… and it got me here.

Trip. Trap.Trip. Trap.

Oh, Jesus.  What do they want now? “Who’s that trippin’ over my bridge?” 

“Oh, it is only I, the littlest Billy Goat Gruff… and I am going up the hill to make myself fat.”

What the eff?  No. This isn’t real, is it? Did this puny little thing actually tell me he’s going to make himself fat?

“Now I’m coming to gobble you up!” I say, more out of spite and scorn rather than hunger.  Hopefully I can scare this pipsqueak out of here…

“I’m too little… wait until the second Billy Goat Gruff comes along.”

This little thing just sold out his family to save himself!  Get the hell out of here.  I would never do that to my family; I chose to be homeless to save them.  What a loser.

“Fine, be off with you.”  Good Riddance, creep.

Trip. Trap. Trip. Trap.

Here comes the second one…. I wonder what this one’s excuse is going to be? I’m sure it’ll be something like “wahhh I’m too smart to be eaten,” or some bullshit like that.

“Oh no, it is only I, the second Billy Goat Gruff, going up the hill to make myself fat.”

“I’m going to gobble you up!”

“Oh no, don’t do that!  Wait for the Biggest Billy Goat Gruff to come along!”

Whatever. “Be gone with you.”

 I can’t deal with this… I really don’t want to eat this one OR the biggest one, I just want some peace and quiet.  I want some time to plan my next move, to figure out which way is up and start heading in that direction.

Trip. Trap. Trip. Trap.

OK, here I go. “Who’s that trippin’ across my bridge?” I almost roar this, hoping that my tone will make me feared and respected. 

“It is I, the big Billy Goat Gruff,” he says, with bravado.

“I’m coming to gobble you up!” I say, and when I hear his response, I feel provoked.

Well, come along! I've got two spears, and I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears; I've got besides two curling-stones, and I'll crush you to bits, body and bone.”

‘Not a chance in hell,’ I think to myself.  I’m a troll.  I am a force to be reckoned with!  I make my way to the top of the bridge, and push out my teeth, and snarl like I’ve never snarled before, but… he was huge.  It’s all over.

***

Mild Applause Please

My prompt was to retell the tale of the Three Billy Goats Gruff from the Troll's perspective.  Thanks for stopping in.
-Sunshine

8 comments:

  1. Trolls are just misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO!!! Fan-freaking-tastic!! You rocked it! And I'll also sleep better at night, FINALLY knowing what that freakin' troll was doing under the bridge in the first place... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I knew you'd do well with this prompt. "I’m a troll. I am a force to be reckoned with!"

    Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love loooooved it! especially since i hadn't checked the spreadsheet and totally forgot what your prompt was. own that troll, girlfriend. rock on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Can't a troll just rest in peace ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hah! love it. i always wondered why that troll was so damn crabby and controlling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! So glad I now know the troll's motivations!

    ReplyDelete