Wednesday, July 13, 2011

End of an Era

I am going to go out on a limb here and expose myself to all of you.  No, not that way, you creepers.  

You see, I am a Harry Potter freak.

This week marks the end of an era for me.  With the final installment of the Harry Potter series will also come the end of my proverbial childhood.  I know, I know, peeps, I'm sure you're all thinking, 'Val, don't be so dramatic. It's just fantasy."

But, no.

It's not just a story to me; it's become a part of me, a part of my collective psyche, and the characters have become my friends.  It is fun way to leave reality and become something or someone different for a short time.  It is an escape from the sucky things in life, as is all great fiction, really.

Okay, so, here I am letting my freak flag fly.  But the best part is, there are a lot of other freak-flag-fliers this week making it known!  How awesome is that! I love that the HP Freaks are flooding the internet, the streets, the world... and they don't care :)

So this post is actually being stolen from Jess at It is a big deal, it is to me! (who is just awesome, and you all should check her out if you haven't already done so).  She wrote a post the other day about HP, about all her favorites from the books and movies.  I am going to borrow her categories very nonchalantly and hope that she likes me enough to look the other way (after she's read my post, obviously).  So, here goes!

Favorite Non-Lead Character:  Ginny Weasley.  She doesn't really say a lot, and she's not really central to anything beside as a love interest for Harry, but Rowling really let her grow into a strong young lady.  I love her.

Best Teacher at Hogwarts:  McGonagall was my favorite presence at Hogwarts, but I have to say that my favorite teacher would be Hagrid.  I was so excited in book three when Professor Dumbledore let him teach Care of Magical Creatures.

Favorite Mythical Creature:  Centaurs.  Hands down.

Course at Hogwarts I'd most like to take:  Charms with Professor Flitwick.  Ever since the Sorcerer's Stone movie when they were being taught WIngardium Leviosa... Swish and Flick!

Best Quidditch Match:  When Ron saved the Quaffle, and became "Weasley is Our King".

Favorite Villain:  Draco Malfoy.

Favorite Member of the DA:  Luna Lovegood

Favorite Novel and Film: My favorite novel was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  It was the first time that the kids had actually had to be grown-ups.  My favorite film was the Order of the Phoenix because it was put together so well.

Favorite Character: Dobby.
Here lies Dobby, a Free Elf.

6 comments:

  1. I agree totally with you.
    Harry Potter epitomizes most of my childhood 'fantasies'. I remember secretly wishing for a letter that I'd been accepted into some magic school. Yeah, gullible right?(^^)
    It was fun playing 'pretend' with inspirations from HP.
    Sigh. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love you!
    as i think you know, i've been reading the books to my kids and we're watching the movies as we go. now we are reading book 4, and i've seen all the movies except, well obviously.
    i am so inspired, honestly, as a writer and a human being.
    but my favorite magical creature is Buckbeak. hands down! and so well presented in the film, too. so beautiful.
    so it's all harry potter all the time now at my house, you should come and play with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to go to Hogwarts. I wish it existed legitimately so that I might actually experience a tour of it, or something like that. I love the way they created Buckbeak (Witherwings, as he's now called), but the centaurs were awesome. Honestly, if I was being *EXTREMELY* honest, my favorite magical creature would have been the blast-ended skrewts because they scared the shit out of everyone... lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unicorns. Hands down. Or maybe the dragons...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thanks for the shout out! I'm flattered. ;) Great post, as well. Ginny was my second-favorite non-lead character. She's great, and I love her with Harry.

    P.S. I'm glad others are also letting their geek flags fly! It's refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love severus snape. in fact, i am married to him.

    ReplyDelete