Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Journey to the Past"


Indie Ink time, again, Peeps.  This week I was challenged by the most wonderful Jen O. of My Tornado Alley, who in my opinion, is more delicious than a donut.  I, in turn, challenged the Flaming Nyx, who awesomely answered my challenge Here.

"Journey to the Past"

We sat on the edge of the porch, my son and I.  I’ve come to appreciate the time that we have together, to be able to talk freely, and understand that our relationship has evolved over time, from parent and child to friends.  We talked of life, of the old days in the old country, and reality.  After many conversations about philosophy and love and life, I found the courage to share something with my kin, my blood, which, given different outcomes, would have changed our lives forever.

“On my way home, down old Tilley Road, is where I met the love of my life.

I had just come from the market, where my mother had sent me, like she did every week, to pick up the groceries that we’d need for the week.  It was always the same items, too.  I could find them as quick as anything because I now knew the store like the back of my hand.  Spaghetti, fresh mozzarella cheese, some spices, a pound of ground beef, and a bag filled with one carrot, one red onion, celery, a cucumber, and a jar of olives. 

The walk to the market was long, down a winding mountain trail.  Going down to the market wasn’t bad; it was the walk back up that was the pain.  Climbing up the mountain with the groceries under the high noon sun was tiring.  As I was making my ascent up towards the village, I saw her.  She was stumbling up the trail, over the rocks, like she’d never made this trip before.  She was young, seventeen, maybe, and so simply wholesome that you couldn’t help but try and protect her. 
Her chestnut hair blew out behind her like a fan was positioned directly in front of her.  Her dress swayed against her hips, rhythmically.  Her slender legs took deliberate, but tentative steps over the rocky terrain. 

I called to her, but she did not turn. 

I moved faster, hoping to catch up with her, but she held her own.  I was drawn to her; she was my gravitational pull while we trudged the mountain trail together.  She was my sun, my north star, my guiding light. 

She reached the summit before me, and I knew I was going to lose her. 

When I got to the top, she was gone.  I never saw her again.”

***
My Prompt was : On the way home, down old Tilley Road... 


1 comment: