Thursday, April 7, 2011

Slacker

{What if you were going to lose your job tomorrow?}

I feel pretty slacker-ish as of late.

I'm not a slacker (for the most part) but I am facing some difficult times ahead.  Tomorrow is my last day at the job I've held for almost seven years and, although it's a Friday and I'll be going home for the weekend, I'm pretty terrified about what I'm going to do come Monday morning.  I've never faced unemployment before.  What if I never find a decent* job?

I have a lot of people in my life that are trying to keep me "Glass is half-full" lately, and I really do appreciate it.  I really am trying to convince myself remind myself of all the good things I've got going for me (like my car hasn't puffed it's last puff of black smoke, or that I'm relatively healthy, or that I am not Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas), but it has a way of sneaking up on me when I least expect it. 

I'm not going to lie - I sort-of, maybe, kind of, have been making a list of the things that I am going to do come Monday (not really Monday as in the day after Sunday, but as in the first day that I don't have to get up at 6:30 a.m. to get ready for work).

I intend on:
-keeping my room ridiculously neat/organized
-going to the doctor, now that I don't have to take off of work to do it
-cleaning out my car
-running errands that don't seem to be able to happen after 5pm
-trying to find a better, more satisfying job

There is more, but the deprression-monster is rearing it's ugly head again.

Does anyone have any advice?

*meaning not at the Drive-Thru at McDonalds.

4 comments:

  1. I have a lot to say on this subject just not a lot of time to write about it now.

    Look for an email soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you'd have something to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep your head up! don't let the frustration send you into a pit of depression, though that's easier said than done, i know. but once you get discouraged it becomes even harder to be productive - believe me, i know. try to look at this as a blessing in disguise and start looking for a job that will put your degree in english to use. think about this as an opportunity to have more time to devote to writing and work toward something fulfilling. you can do it. put yourself on monster, linkedin, etc. network. stay positive. enjoy the warm weather that's on its way. stay sunshine-y. don't be afraid to ask for help. think about giving me a kick-ass challenge this week ;). remember i love you and am always here to talk. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quit my job to become a consultant in the same field in September and I am still alive! Oh yes! I made it! You will too.

    I thought my house would be ridiculously clean and my sweet baboos would have their schedules, lunches and other kid whatnot meticulously planned. Instead, I did a lot of cooking and having coffee with friends. I highly recommend it. The other shit can wait.

    come see me, I will be NOT doing laundry over at the Layers.

    www.alotoflayers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete