Thursday, January 5, 2012

All Part of the Plan

"All Part of the Plan"

It was just after dusk and I was cold.  I knew I should be scared, but I couldn’t stop noticing how beautiful the swirling police lights looked as they caught the falling snow.  Have you ever felt that way? Knowing you should be feeling one way, but unable to help yourself from feeling another certain type of way? I’m sure you have.  Haven’t we all?  The officer is going on and on to me about something, but I just can’t focus on his monotone drivel when Mother Nature’s beauty is falling all over the place. The snowflakes aren’t just flecks of frozen water; they’re becoming part of me.  Each one that falls and lands along my skin becomes a link in the armor, the armor I wear to protect me against the cold, hard realism forced upon me by those who haven’t embraced the Earth’s love.  They’re missing out on a beautiful world, a world that they’re blowing right by. 
***
It was just after dusk and I was cold.  Working overtime holds no appeal for me, but my wife enjoys the payout, as most women do.  I’m exhausted, I haven’t had time to breathe, let alone take care of all the human necessities, if you know what I mean.  Do you know what I mean? Have you ever felt that way? 

Here I am, just trying to keep myself straight and keep my life in order for my family, and I’ve got nothing to show for it but being overworked and under paid.  I’m tired, and I’m stuck here babysittin’ this whiteboy, high as a kite, whose ass I’ve got parked on the curb while I wait for back up.  I haven’t had time for a real meal, a shower that lasted longer than four minutes, or some quality time with my wife in God knows how long, though I’m sure she wouldn’t be too receptive to that idea anyway.  Women.  Can’t live with ‘em, ain’t that what they say? Ah, well.
***
It was just after dusk and they were cold.  Unfortunate, really, that they could not see the bigger picture.
Neither of these two understands the ramifications of their actions today, but they are great indeed. 
Here we have a junkie who, had this police officer not stopped him for a moving violation, would have caused a four car accident, killing two children, their parents, and inevitably himself. 
On the other hand, the police officer who, because he put in overtime to support his family, saved a multitude of lives, just by doing the right thing.  Good, too, because it will help him reinforce the promotion coming to him at the end of the month.
Look at the beauty in the world.  Look at all I have created.  The good and the bad, each working in tandem to create a working masterpiece that anyone would be proud to be a part of. 

This is my second week back in the Indie Ink Challege! Yay!

This week my prompt was "I know I should be scared, but I couldn't stop noticing how beautiful the swirling police lights looked as they caught the falling snow", issued by Kurt at Muzzle Diaries.  I was fortunate enough to challenge the wonderful Hannah Pratt at The Oh So Unusual Housewife, who really nailed it with a beautiful poem.  Check them both out!

1 comment: